Volunteers play a crucial role in the success of The University of Southern Mississippi Alumni Association. Whether its formulating long-term plans that chart the path of the Association for years to come or hosting a golf tournament hundreds of miles from Hattiesburg to raise funds for scholarships, volunteers are a driving force.
There are a number of volunteer opportunities on both the local chapter and international levels of the Alumni Association, and a number of different ways alumni can help build their organization.
Volunteer opportunities include
The International Alumni Association Board of Directors:
Each year at Homecoming, the Alumni Association elects a president-elect, vice president, finance committee chair and seven directors. The directors are elected for three-year terms that begin at the start of the fiscal year (July 1) following the Homecoming at which they were elected. The International Board of Directors, composed of 31 alumni, is the governing body for the Southern Miss Alumni Association.
To make a nomination for the board of directors, please fill out the online form, submit a letter of nomination to the Southern Miss Alumni Association or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If submitting a letter by mail or email, please include the following:
- The award or position for which you are making the nomination
- The nominee’s name, contact address, contact telephone number, contact e-mail address, year of graduation or final year of attendance, major, occupation or profession, and employer
- All areas in which the nominee currently supports or is involved with the University or has supported or been involved with Southern Miss in the past (include participation in the Alumni Association, Southern Miss Foundation Honor Club, Eagle Club and/or Athletic Foundation, Partners for the Arts, Business Advisory Council, etc.
- List all areas in which the nominee is currently involved or has been involved in the past in the community, including any awards or recognition received.
- Finally, why do you believe this individual should be considered for the award or position selected?
The Association also relies on ongoing or special committees in the following areas: Affinity Marketing, Bylaws, Finance, Publications, Scholarship and Traditions. On the local level, alumni ambassadors, chapter presidents and constituent society leaders are always seeking assistance.